Food processing and manufacturing is a complex industry with many safety and security concerns. Today, plant security isn’t just about protecting your employees from harm and your products from theft, it is a complex and interconnected system that ensures the safety of people, product, and processes from threats, spoilage, or contamination; improves productivity and more.
Every manufacturer, regardless of size, shares some serious challenges ranging from accidents to mal-intent and bioterrorism. Here are just a few of the top concerns.
- Unsafe/improper food handling
- Downed processes
- And more
All manufacturing plants face strict regulations. Food processing plants also have a special consideration, the Food Safety Modernization Act. Introduced after 9/11, the FSMA was the first time in the history of food legislation where the concept of food defense was introduced. Food defense is defined as measures to protect food from deliberate tampering from criminal or terrorist sources. This act shifts the focus from responding to foodborne illness to preventing it. Not surprisingly, the act involves many physical security system recommendations and regulations.
Improving Security at Your Manufacturing Plant
While security measures must be unique to meet the needs of each specific facility, here are just a few important recommendations to consider.
- Have your risks evaluated by professionals
- Start security at the perimeter with adequate fencing
- Use gate/phone/intercom access
- Use access control to control and monitor movement inside the facility
- Employ monitored video surveillance
- Install a comprehensive security system that includes intrusion detection
- Use a mass communication system for swift emergency communication
- Professional alarm system monitoring
At SSP, we understand the needs of the manufacturing industry. We’ve dedicated ourselves to meeting those needs with ahead of trend technologies that keep your people, processes, and product safe. Call us today to secure your facility confidently. 1-888-540-0175