Call SSP 1-888-540-0175
Most tend to think of commercial security systems for educational facilities as set-it-and-forget-it systems once installed. We hardly notice them—unless something goes wrong. And when something goes wrong on campus, it can be catastrophic.
Just like every other system in an educational facility, the security system is a complex organism of technical mechanisms that needs regular care to maintain operability. That care should be provided by a security specialist specifically trained in preventative and corrective maintenance.
What is Security System Maintenance?
Security system maintenance involves regular checks of the elements that make up the security installation, including cameras, detectors, computers, circuits, lighting systems, and card readers or keypads, to verify that they work optimally. This step is preventative maintenance. Next, systems that are not functioning properly would be corrected or repaired in the corrective maintenance phase.
What are Some Regular Maintenance Needs of a Security System?
- Check for System Status Updates Regularly
- Keep Sensors Clear of Dust and Debris
- Perform Regular Communication and Sensor Testing
- Schedule Annual Fire System Inspections
- Review Error Histories
- Review Camera Settings and Positions
- Check IP settings
- Check Power Supplies
- Ensure Proper System Communication
- Review Facility Changes in Relation to Security Needs
Commercial Security Preventative Maintenance
Preventative security maintenance is a proactive approach that anticipates the security system’s possible failures and prevents the failure from appearing. Naturally, this takes extensive knowledge of the many security system disciplines, individual technologies, and system lifespans.
Preventative Maintenance Includes:
- Review Facility Changes in Relation to Security Need
- Visual and functional test of all devices to verify performance
- Clean and perform routine maintenance of system devices to maximize the life cycle
- Update software to the latest versions to utilize the latest features and security
- Routine test of power supplies and replacement of rechargeable batteries to prevent damage resulting from overcharging or exploding batteries
Commercial Security System Corrective Maintenance
During the initial security system evaluation, the security specialist may find things that need to be corrected. The purpose of corrective maintenance is to adjust, repair, or replace security system elements that are not working properly. This is a reactive approach that corrects only what already needs to be replaced or repaired.
What are the Advantages of Commercial Security System Maintenance?
- Reduce systems downtime with preventative maintenance of systems
- Check performance metrics such as CPU and RAM usage of servers and computers
- Monitor system health status
- Assess, document, and eliminate potential threats to systems failures
- Monitor custom web application functionality
- Reduce risks
- Save money
We want to help you learn more about how preventative maintenance could be the solution to help you monitor and maintain your security systems so that you’re getting the most value for your investment.
At SSP, we listen, we innovate, we inform, and we stay with you every step of the way.
Don’t put it off. Call us today at 1-888-540-0175 and schedule a free consultation to learn how we can meet your security needs.